cleIMC home

Cleveland Indy Media Center

cleveland indymedia
About Us Contact Us Subscribe Calendar Radio Show Publish
white themeblack themered themeblack themeblack themeblack themeblack themeblack themeblack themeblack themetheme help

Sep 20 Real Time Presentation Service from Money Maker Ma

Sep 25 Columbus Socialism Forum -- Why You Should Vote So

Add an Event

printable version - email this article

View article without comments

Why You Should Think Twice Before Attending the Cleveland Film Festival This Year
by Cleveland Jobs with Justice Thursday, Feb. 24, 2005 at 6:53 PM
440-333-7007

Cleveland Cinemas CEO Jon Forman is up to no good once again. After 28 years of working the Cleveland Film Festival, the union projectionists have been told that this year their services will not be needed. One man's fight against the union is threatening to destroy the integrity of the Cleveland Film Festival, prompting many in Cleveland to say "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!"

For 28 years members of the Projectionists' Union here in Cleveland have proudly worked the Cleveland Film Festival - showing the films and providing festival-goers with a quality experience to rival any big-name festival out there.

But this year, Cleveland Cinemas CEO and Cedar Lee Theater owner Jon Forman has decided the union has no place working the Cleveland Film Festival. After 28 years of proud participation in one of Cleveland's premier cultural events, what appears to be one man's personal vendetta has left a foul odor hanging over this year's festivities.

Forman has been involved in a labor dispute with the union for over a year now - purging his theaters of union workers and giving their positions to "managers." The union fought back last holiday season with a boycott campaign of the popular Cedar Lee Theater - asking folks to not support a unionbuster like Jon Forman, who was named Cleveland's 2004 "Scrooge of the Year" by Cleveland Jobs with Justice. The National Labor Relations Board has also been drawn into the fight, as the union continues to pursue unfair labor practice charges against Forman.

Not satisfied with violating workers' rights in his own facilities, Jon Forman used his clout in the Cleveland arts community to keep the union out of this year's festival as well. "Forman made it known that in order for the festival to use his facilities at Tower City, there would be no union labor used," says IATSE Local 160 business agent John Galinac. Rather than siding with the union - which in past years has helped raise generous amounts of money for the festival, including a $10,000 donation from actor Paul Newman - the festival organizers have decided to cast their lot with a man who has done everything in his power to destroy organized labor in his industry.

Cleveland should be so proud.

It seems that being named "Most Impoverished City in the Nation" has driven some in Cleveland to go out of their way to prove how worthy the city is of this title. As the high-paying manufacturing jobs of days past continue to disappear, employers like Jon Forman are also doing their part to wipe out the good jobs that remain - jobs like those held by the union projectionists in his theaters, which paid well and provided good benefits and pensions. But some Clevelanders are tiring of this race to the bottom.

The county commissioners, for one, have withdrawn their financial support of this year's festival. After giving $15,000 last year to support the festival and it's use of union labor, the commissioners are less than happy about this recent turn of events. For a festival that is already in financial straits, this kind of snubbing really hurts.

The union is attempting to provide an alternate location for filmmakers that would agree to pull their films from the festival at Tower City. "We want Cleveland to see these films, but we want to offer both the filmmakers and the filmgoers a socially responsible opportunity to enjoy them. We think many of this year's participants and attendees will have quite a problem with being in any way connected to a unionbuster like Jon Forman," says Galinac. The union is currently reaching out to the filmmakers to encourage them to withdraw their work from this year's festival.

Cleveland Jobs with Justice will be helping the union organize specific actions throughout the festival, to draw attention to the labor dispute and encourage socially conscious festival attendees to spend their money elsewhere.

Anyone interested in receiving more information about the campaign should contact Cleveland Jobs with Justice at 440-333-7007.

Mr.
by P Tuesday, Mar. 01, 2005 at 2:19 PM

I'm not trying to be a scab, and hopefully the projectionists will be able to arrange another venue for the festival, but I just wanted to present another take on this.

I talked with Patrick Shepherd of the Cleveland Film Society about the projectionist lockout. This is what he told me:

They have only four full-time staff to run the festival.

The projectionist union has withdrawn a complaint with the NLRB (yesterday)?

There are very few venues for the festival in Cleveland. The chain theaters do not employ the union either, so trying to rent a chain theater would have the same result. Moving the festival from Cleveland would be very difficult.

The Film Society is aware of the political issues, but is not able to take a stand on these issues at this time. They would have to cancel the festival.

The County Commmissioners are supporting the festival (I'm not sure in what way).

I support the projectionists, but also hope the festival can continue.

inaction = action
by durg Tuesday, Mar. 01, 2005 at 2:35 PM

" The Film Society is aware of the political issues, but is not able to take a stand on these issues at this time. "

this is bullshit. they are taking a side by going along with foreman. and the side they are taking is against the union. no sugarcoating will change that.

i hope the film festival gets totally fucked up this year.

---durg
classist and proud of it

Why Blame Projectionists?
by camoo Tuesday, Mar. 01, 2005 at 10:33 PM

If the festival gets cancelled, it's the fault of the person who PUT the projectionist union in such a comprimising position, not the fault of the people who got fucked. I hear this all the time; a group of people get screwed over, and then they're blamed when they stand up for themselves. Is it so crazy to blame the person who made a conscious decision to screw them over in the first place?

If the festival were cancelled, it would be because of Forman's decision, not the projectionists. They're only doing what any one of us would do if it happened to us.

The projectionists union is as much a part of the film festival as anything else. They've been doing it for 28 years, since the beginning. In my opinion, no matter what happens, the festival has already been ruined by excluding the people who helped build it.

Updates, please!
by David Badagnani Wednesday, Mar. 02, 2005 at 12:53 AM
Kent, Ohio

Can we please have some updates on this story (from the projectionists or the people from Jobs With Justice that originally posted the story)? Is what P. wrote (about the complaint being withdrawn, etc.) true or not?

Also, why is this not on the Jobs With Justice website? I looked for more information, but there is none. If we're to get the word out about this, we need more information. Thanks!

An Update on the Cleveland Film Festival Situation
by Submitted by: Cleveland Jobs with Justice Wednesday, Mar. 02, 2005 at 7:44 PM

The stink emanating from the Cleveland Film Festival – set for March 10-20 – has attracted a lot of attention in the community over the past few days. People have responded to the article posted on this site, as well as put calls into the Cleveland Jobs with Justice office, wanting to know what is being done. Here is an update on the situation.

John Galinac of IATSE Local 160 informed Cleveland Jobs with Justice yesterday that they had indeed withdrawn their charges with the National Labor Relations Board – but not because the situation has been resolved. The union has chosen to wait and see who will work the festival, before pursuing their options with the NLRB.

At the present time, the union’s strength lies outside the confines of labor law procedure. The union is in talks with many of the filmmakers being featured in this year’s festival, asking them to pull their work if they have that option, or to make a public statement condemning the dispute where this is not an option. (Many of the filmmakers no longer own the rights to their films, and therefore the option of pulling their work from the Festival may no longer be their decision to make.)

The union has also stated that it will provide an alternate location to those filmmakers who do pull their work – and this information will be broadcast here at Cleveland Indymedia as soon as it becomes available – for those that still wish to see the films.

The commissioners ARE BOYCOTTING the festival at the present time, because of the lockout of the union projectionists. The $15,000 has already been given to the festival, and Councilman Dimora said today in the Plain Dealer that they will not yank the financial support at the last minute, but they will NOT be participating in the festivities this year. The commissioners are also sending a letter to Forman urging him to reach an agreement with the union.

The projectionists union is waiting to see how Forman reacts to the urge from the county commissioners to play ball. John Galinac told the Cleveland Jobs with Justice coalition that the union is ready and willing to resolve this dispute, and will meet with Forman and the commissioners anytime. The union is asking folks to PLEASE NOT PURCHASE ADVANCE TICKETS to the Festival – in the event that this dispute is not resolved.

In situations like this there is a choice between what is right and what is easy. This year the Cleveland Film Society chose what was easy over what was right and let the bully run the playground. Now, the integrity of the Cleveland Film Festival hangs by a thread that only he can mend or break.

While we’re hoping for the best here, we’re preparing for the worst. Stay tuned.

Anyone who would like more detailed information should feel free to contact Cleveland Jobs with Justice at 440-333-7007 or via email at jstacy@cwa-union.org

References:
1. Clint O’Connor, “Cuyahoga officials boycott film festival over union"
Cleveland Plain Dealer, March 2, 2005.

Solidarity w/ projectionists
by Dana Thursday, Mar. 03, 2005 at 1:47 PM

The film fesitval may be in a "tight" position, but so what? You lay down with dogs (Cleveland Cinemas), you wake up with fleas. You can't tell me that there is NO WHERE in all over the vastness of Cleveland (an abandoned warehouse or something) that couldn't host a film festival *and* employ the projectionists?? So, maybe the upper-class clientele of the film festival won't be in the same plushness as it's used to, but so what? Justice will be done.

It'd be great if there was another venue willing to show the same films at the same time, in parallel with the Film Fest. It would detract attendees from the Fest, employ the projectionists, *and* allow people to see some good films (conscience free)!

Don't cross the picket line!

Dana

Related
by feature additions Friday, Mar. 11, 2005 at 1:39 PM

Update 3/9/05: Action: Join Unions Thursday, March 10th to Mobilze for Picket

Related: Call Jon Forman and Tell Him He Needs to Fix the Film Festival
Related: The Cleveland Film Festival Situation
Related: Jon Forman Locks Out IATSE Local 160 During Holiday Season: Boycott Cedar Lee Cinema
Related: Fight Heats Up at Cedar Lee

by High Def shooter Monday, May. 22, 2006 at 6:37 AM

I just dont understand why Jon Foreman doesn't ask the Projectionists to work for free, and be greatful they work in such a Prestigeous profession. After all I was asked to work for free by the producer of the Cleveland International Film Festival Trailer for several years. I believe the problem lies in the film community itself. Producers in Cleveland Act like they have no money for anything, or are working on a seriously limited budget and ask people to work for peanuts or sometimes for nothing. All I want to know is , when is the corruption going to stop and when are people going to start acting like responsible business leaders.

by High Def shooter Monday, May. 22, 2006 at 6:37 AM

by High Def shooter Monday, May. 22, 2006 at 6:39 AM

by High Def shooter Monday, May. 22, 2006 at 6:39 AM

by High Def shooter Monday, May. 22, 2006 at 6:39 AM

by High Def shooter Monday, May. 22, 2006 at 6:40 AM

by High Def shooter Monday, May. 22, 2006 at 6:41 AM

add your comments

IMC Network: www.indymedia.org Projects print radio satellite tv video Africa ambazonia canarias estrecho / madiaq nigeria south africa Canada hamilton maritimes montreal ontario ottawa quebec thunder bay vancouver victoria windsor winnipeg East Asia burma jakarta japan manila qc Europe alacant andorra antwerpen armenia athens austria barcelona belarus belgium belgrade bristol bulgaria croatia cyprus estrecho / madiaq euskal herria galiza germany grenoble hungary ireland istanbul italy la plana liege lille madrid malta marseille nantes netherlands nice norway oost-vlaanderen paris/île-de-france poland portugal romania russia scotland sverige switzerland thessaloniki toulouse ukraine united kingdom valencia west vlaanderen Latin America argentina bolivia brasil chiapas chile chile sur colombia ecuador mexico peru puerto rico qollasuyu rosario santiago tijuana uruguay valparaiso Oceania adelaide aotearoa brisbane burma darwin jakarta manila melbourne oceania perth qc sydney South Asia india mumbai United States arizona arkansas atlanta austin baltimore big muddy binghamton boston buffalo charlottesville chicago cleveland colorado danbury, ct dc hawaii houston hudson mohawk idaho ithaca kansas city la madison maine miami michigan milwaukee minneapolis/st. paul new hampshire new jersey new mexico new orleans north carolina north texas nyc oklahoma omaha philadelphia pittsburgh portland richmond rochester rogue valley saint louis san diego san francisco san francisco bay area santa barbara santa cruz, ca seattle tallahassee-red hills tampa bay tennessee united states urbana-champaign utah vermont virginia beach western mass worcester West Asia armenia beirut israel palestine ukraine Topics biotech Process discussion fbi/legal updates indymedia faq mailing lists process & imc docs tech volunteer

© 2000-2006 Cleveland Indy Media Center. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by the Cleveland Indy Media Center. Running sf-active v0.9.4 Disclaimer | Privacy