National Day of Appreciation For Abortion Providers
by deb ~: cle-imc newswire
Wednesday, Mar. 09, 2005 at 12:25 PM
his appreciation day was initiated in 1996 and was co-sponsored by many national organizations and individuals, as a way to help stop the isolation and create a positive climate for abortion providers across the country.
WHY MARCH 10?
March 10th was
the day that anti-abortion activists decided to elevate their terrorist
tactics to a new level---> it is the first day that an abortion
doctor was assassinated in the usa.
That doctor was dr. david gunn.
WHAT'S IT LIKE WORKING IN A CLINIC?
many people don't realize what it's like on a day-to-day basis for
those working in abortion clinics. I ask that you pause, just a moment,
and consider what some people who work in clinics deal with daily.
- it is being an abortion doctor and wearing a bullet-proof vest every day
- it is being an abortion doctor and refusing to wear that bullet-proof vest every day, and buying a convertible
- it is being an abortion doctor and needing to wear a wig to do daily tasks--like grocery shopping
is opening clinic mail and considering that any item may contain an
anthrax threat----> this terrorist tactic was used at abortion
clinics way before 911
- it is always being alert when arriving and leaving work
- it is wondering if an abandoned car parked beside an abortion clinic has a bomb in it
- it is not knowing if law enforcement is going to take your calls seriously
Abortion clinics have functioned on red alert 24/7 for decades.
March 10--or after that, why not send postcard(s) (no cards, due to
anthrax concerns) to thank abortion clinic staff and doctors for
continuing their work, despite terrorist conditions and despite baby
bush and his buddies!
PLEASE REMEMBER THEM
Also, please remember the following people who were murdered by anti-abortion assassins:
- dr. david gunn--march 10, 1993
- dr. george patterson--august 28, 1993
- dr. john britton--july 29, 1994
- james barrett--escort--july 29, 1994
- shannon lowney--staff--december 1994
- leanne nichols--staff--december 1994
- officer robert sanderson--off-duty cop providing security--january 29, 1998
- dr. barnett slepian--october 23, 1998
Then, there are the survivors of shootings, bombings, arson, etc.
george tiller was shot in both arms, august 19, 1993, and still
practices abortion in wichita, kansas--anti-choice activists have
relocated to that area to increase the harassment of tiller and his
staff (his clinic address is listed at the end of this--please send
- emily lyons survived the bombing of a clinic,
on january 29, 1998. the bomber wasn't satisfied with just blowing the
clinic up. he put nails in the bomb so they would shoot out and do more
damage than an explosion. he waited across the street and watched for
people to enter the clinic, then detonated the bomb. sanderson,
off-duty cop, died. lyons had a hole the size of a fist in her stomach.
the flesh from her legs was ripped off and her vision is permanently
damaged. emily will not stay silent and speaks about this.
- june barrett, an escort, was shot. her husband and a doctor were also shot. they died.
- many others
PLEASE SEND POSTCARDS (NO CARDS--ANTHRAX CONCERNS)TILLERíS CLINIC
Womenís Health Care Services
5107 E. Kellogg
Wichita, Kansas 67218
Center for Womenís Health
11710 Shaker Blvd.
Cleveland, Ohio 44120
3535 Lee Rd.
Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120
19550 Rockside Rd.
Bedford, Ohio 44146
12000 Shaker Blvd.
Cleveland, Ohio 44120
MISSISSIPPI--this is the only clinic left in this state
Jackson Womenís Health Organization
2903 North State Street
Jackson, Mississippi 39216
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU DO?
go to: http://www.voicesandchoicesradio.org print up four pages of things you can do to get involved to help out and listen to radio shows
go to: http://www.powerorchoice.net watch the fantastic film made by dorothy fadiman
get that film and show it to friends and family have them show it to
friends and family and have them show it to friends and family AND make
sure you go outside of your comfort zone and show it in public places
like churches or libraries or ...
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 1 posted about this article.
These comments are anonymously submitted by the website visitors.
||Friday, Mar. 11, 2005 at 12:56 PM