Vote Today Ohio needs help
Friday, Oct. 17, 2008 at 1:52 PM
Vote Today Ohio is a group of organizers working in collaboration with organizations and individuals around Ohio to utilize the state's early voting period to help win the election for Obama and other progressive candidates in 2008.
Vote Today Ohio is a group of organizers working in collaboration with organizations and individuals around Ohio to utilize the state's early voting period to help win the election for Obama and other progressive candidates in 2008. Vote Today Ohio executed a successful Golden Week program in early October that banked over 3,000 votes statewide by offering shuttle rides to voters and coordinating high-visibility activities and events to get out the early vote, and is now extending its voter mobilization program until the general election. Empowering local leaders and communities is a high priority of Vote Today Ohio's - as such, Vote Today Ohio is hiring local organizers to assist in running this Get Out The Vote program.
We need your help in two ways:
1) We are seeking two to four organizers in Cleveland to serve as Team Leaders, running Get Out The Vote programs in Cleveland's Fifth Ward, to begin ASAP.
Tools available to these VTO Team Leaders include several 12-passenger vans or other vehicles for transporting voters, committed teams of volunteers (both in and out-of-state), budgets for materials, and the core team of media, strategic, and organizing staff in the Vote Today Ohio headquarters in Columbus.
These positions are paid.
Responsibilities of VTO Team Leaders include:
- Identifying pick-up locations for shuttles to the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections that would serve VTO's target demographic (African American, Youth, Underserved)
- Researching and meeting with allies in targeted areas
- Pursuing strategic relationships with other organizations and initiatives
- Designing shuttle schedules and coordinating vehicles accordingly
- Managing a team of 3 full-time volunteers coming from around the US
- Overseeing publicity around voter shuttles and overall VTO program (flyers, posters, events, etc).
Interested candidates should contact Cristina Moon (firstname.lastname@example.org, 614-754-8317 & 917-488-0302) as soon as possible.
2) We would also love your input on organizations in the 5th Ward and surrounding areas to approach that might be interested in collaborating with us in getting their clients and community members to the polls during the early voting period. We would like to help Ohioans avoid the long lines, stringent ID requirements, and other shenanigans that seem to arise on Election Day. We will have comfortable vans to take voters to the Board of Elections, who will then be returned to their initial location. We will be doing this from October 22 through November 4th.
Vote Today Ohio
Office: (614) 754-8317
Fax: (614) 417-5076
Mobile: (917) 488-0302
Paid for by Vote Today Ohio, www.votetodayohio.org, and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.